shopping for a photo booth?
There are a lot of things to consider when you're in the market for a photo booth, so we thought we'd offer this helpful (and totally unbiased!) article to help you make a better informed decision.
Tip #1: If you are starting by comparing prices, you're doing it wrong.
We have done our homework, and guess what - photo booth companies all cost about the same: it's approximately $900 for 3-hours, give or take a hundred bucks.
Different companies have different ways of getting there; some have a cheap base price and then make up the difference by charging for every little thing...
- Need a backdrop? Well, um yeah. $100!
- Do you want props? They have photo booths without props? $100!
- Want extra prints so everyone gets a copy? Of course. $100!
- Want copies of your images after the event? Duh! $50!
We don't do that. Our pricing is easy - you get everything you need for the same price as everyone else is charging. Need more than 3-hours? It's $150/hr extra (or $75/half hour). And guess what everyone else is charging for additional time? You guessed it: $150/hr.
The real question you need to ask is what you're getting for your money, which brings us to...
Tip #2: All photo booths were not created equal.
First, it is important to understand that there are two different types of photo booth: the traditional camera-in-a-box (about 95% of photo booth companies fall into this category) and the open-air setup.
Comparing the two is actually sort of silly, since an open-air setup completely outshines a box setup in every conceivable way, but they get lumped into the same category since a) there aren't very many open-air companies and, b) both setups produce a print with 4 images (although some companies will charge you extra for the prints...doh!).
Without getting into too many technical details about why the open-air setup is so much better than a box, I will point out two major differences which are immediately apparent:
Quality of Light
An open-air booth allows for very large lights which can be aimed in different directions, and large, directional lights produce a beautiful, soft, and more flattering quality of light. When you look at our images, you can see the difference - they don't look great because we have a makeup artist on hand, it's because we have professional studio lighting integrated into our booth to make everyone look like a fashion model!
Our clients look like they could be in a fashion magazine advertisement because their photo was taken with the same equipment that was used to shoot several fashion magazine advertisements!
If you compare our images to a box-style booth, pay attention to the light quality in the images. More often than not, you'll notice that the light in box-style booths is less flattering due to the hard shadows and contrast you get from small, direct light sources.
Space to Move
Tip #3: For a Fun, Classy Event, Hire Fun, Classy People
People hire photo booths because they want two things:
- Nice pictures of their friends & family
- To have a good time at their event
Since we've already established that a) all of the services basically cost the same to rent and b) open-air photo booths are vastly superior to box-style booths, the only question you really need to ask yourself is: how do I find an open-air booth that's going to add the most enjoyment to my party?
Fortunately, we've made this decision easy for you with a couple handy questions:
- Does the company's website look modern, fun, and classy or is it ugly, sloppy and/or difficult to navigate? These are the people that are designing your party experience, so you can expect them to bring the same professionalism and attention-to-detail to your event.
- Is their pricing model straightforward or do they force you to contact them for a price? Do they charge extra for things you obviously need (like double printing, props, digital downloads, etc.)? I think this speaks for itself.
- Are they local or do they have locations in multiple cities? Just a guess, but big national photo booth companies probably aren't going to go to great lengths to make sure you have a great personalized event.
Pretty simple stuff, but hopefully it helps!
We have put a lot of time and effort into being the very best photo booth service around, and we don't even make you pay a premium for it...because that's part of being the best photo service around. :)